75100385

I went to my local council office with a letter they sent

hi I went to my local council office with a letter they sent me about benefit overpayment from 2010. the girl there took the letter from saying it would speed things up I have now had three letters from debt collectors I have ask the council three times for a copy of this letter which they wont send me just keep telling me to go to complaints .do I have any rights to get a copy of this letter R Gurney
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Why did you not keep a copy please?

Customer:

I didn't keep a copy because I thought after three and half years it would of all been dealt with,

Alex Watts :

Ok - you are entitled to a copy but if they refuse you need to do the following:"

Alex Watts :

1) Write and complain to the Chief Officer. That will raise a formal complaint and you can be sent a copy

Alex Watts :

2) Send a request under the Data Protection Act for a copy. But they have 40 days to respond

Alex Watts :

3) Complain to the Local Government Ombudsman. They offer a free, independent service and can investigate your complaint at; www.lgo.org.uk

Alex Watts :

That should resolve the matter

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Thank you very much for your help I will take your advice and get back to you in due course

Alex Watts :

Great. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply