I went into a natwest branch in barking and requested my IBAN

I went into a natwest branch in barking and requested my IBAN number. one of the hoovering cashiers took my card and went to the cashier desk. he then came back with a slip which due to my trust in the bank, i did not look. i gave that slip to a friend to take it to my mum in kenya so that she could deposit money into my acc. my mum filled the forms with my names but wrong IBN number from the slip i got from natwest. later we realised that those were someone elses details and when i went back to the barking brach to explain their mistake,i was treated like a thug. they were very quick to deny any wrong doing. they closed my account straight away and started demanding me to pay back the over draft. equity bank in Kenya tried to contact natwest but they have failed to respond. citi bank as well tried but no response from NatWest. they sent me a letter claiming that I was not in the branch on the day. i tried to ask them how they identified me on their cctv but they said I needed to contact financial ombudsman who have not been helpful at all. I would like to understand what happened.that money was supposed to kick start me in a new home. i have lost so much interest from the balance due to the fact that Natwest will not accept their mistake.
I would like some help on how to get my money back. It was £23,000 pounds
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

When did you realise they were the wrong details? Did you not look at them before handing over please?

Customer: No I did not check. I realised after my mum told me she deposited the money then I went to the bank with a copy of the slip
Alex Watts :

Have you formally complained to the Ombudsman? If so, has there been a ruling?

Customer: Yes i complained and they said they did not see any wrong doing by natwest
Alex Watts :

Ok, so the Ombudsman found against you?

Alex Watts :

If so then the only way you can rectify this is by going to Court.

Customer: Yes
Customer: What's the procedure?
Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial. As the claim is over £10,000 you will need representation at trial. You should also know if you lose you would be responsible for costs of the other side.

Customer: That's helpful thanks for the answer.
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience