75100385

....I'm wanting to travel to the US in November this year

Customer Question

Hi....I'm wanting to travel to the US in November this year and obviously I have to fill in an esta. I was arrested and charged 16 years ago with GBH. The charges were against my newborn son as he had a difficult birth and later a small bleed in his head. This was proven later by a senior paediatrician to have been caused at birth so the case was thrown out and I was told obviously I was not guilty. Would I still have a record of my arrest etc and do I declare it on the esta. Will I get stopped at customs if I declare it. Thanks.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : In theory you should declare it yes.
Alex Watts : However there is no information sharing agreement between the Usa and the UK
Alex Watts : many people travel even with minor convictions which have not been declared.
Alex Watts : Therefore as the case was thrown out you don't have a criminal record so even if they did look you up in the UK it would not show.
Alex Watts : Clear
Alex Watts : Clearly there is always a small risk that somehow they will know but thousands of people travel without declaring minor convictions
Alex Watts : You were not convicted so it may be worth a try.
Alex Watts : If you declare it you will need to apply,for a visa which of course is not guaranteed
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
JACUSTOMER-gpegajnq- :

Hi.....if I didnt declare it and for some reason they found out....would they automatically put me on the next flight home.

Alex Watts :

Not necessarily.

Alex Watts :

They may still let you in. Depends if they consider you a risk

Alex Watts :

Does that clarify?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/