31090051

I have reason to believe that one of my sons, now aged 24 may

Customer Question

I have reason to believe that one of my sons, now aged 24 may not be mine biologically.
His mother and I divorced about 10 years ago. I have not discussed this with my son as
he has no idea of this suspicion, nor does his mother. I brought him up from birth and love
him the same as my other sons. My ex/wife has considerably more wealth than I and I wish to know if I qualify for compensation.
Thank you for your advice.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
There was a case within the last couple of weeks (unfortunately it was a newspaper report and I'm unaware of the legal citation) where your exact scenario resulted in a father receiving compensation for maintenance paid to a mother who know the child was not that of the father, so yes, legally it is possible to go down that route.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.
HiThe case in question was based on very unusual facts where it was clear that the mother knew beyond any doubt that the child was not that of the man she named (there was a fertility clinic involved)To have any chance of compensation you woudl have to prove not just that the child was not your child but also that your ex MUST have known he was not. This does not mean suspected or always wondered - it means that she KNEW for a biological fact that the child was not yours.Before starting something which could fracture your relationship with your son you need to consider carefully how you could prove that she KNEWClare