12826847

I have been accused of fraud and despite having documentary

Customer Question

I have been accused of fraud and despite having documentary evidence to the contrary I have been asked to attend a police station to give a recorded interview. Is this normal and what are their reasons for this when I believe attending my home and me presenting the evidence would suffice. Should I seek representation over this as I am considering a slander suit against my accuser.
It is normal. In fact, it is demanded by law. You are a suspect. You can only be interviewed under caution in accordance with PACE at the police station.
Absolutely you should have a solicitor. You will be offered a solicitor at the police station. Do no refuse the offer.
Do not make any statements to the officer.
Generally speaking, with frauds, it is best not to produce documentary evidence or in fact to make any comment in interview at all. There are some exceptions depending on the size of the fraud really.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What is the likely outcome IF I choose to say nothing. There is no reason for this as all paperwork is in order. The accusation is over a motor vehicle I have sold as part of my brother in laws estate albeit at a price lower than expected. The accusation is from his ex wife (they have a daughter who has interest in the estate). The total value of the estate is under £10000.

It depends on the evidence.
Take the advice of your solicitor who will have more vision of the case than I will but I have always found that a no comment interview is almost always the right thing to do with frauds. If it is a large fraud then you need time to consider the evidence. If it is a small one then either the paper work is in order or it is not.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for that. I'll ring the police and request the duty solicitor.

You are offered one when you are booked in.
The other alternative is to get a solicitor to attend with you if you are surrendering voluntarily.