29905560

I have received a number of abusive and slanderous

I have received a number of abusive and slanderous emails from an anonymous person but this person knows me. I cant find out who this is what can I do?
Paul Filkins
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Finding out the sender of an anonymous email may not necessarily be an easy task. Whilst you can report this to the police, they may not see this as a criminal matter and refuse to do anything about it (slander is not a criminal offence, it is a civil one). Therefore, unless the person has broken the law and perhaps harassed you (by sending you such emails on more than one occasion) they are unlikely to get involved. Even with a criminal matter you cannot force the police to try and trace this person - it will depend on the seriousness as they see it and their resources.

Ben Jones :

You will also struggle to get direct information from the email provider - they have strict data protection obligations and they will not just release information about the sender to you. The only way to get this would be with a court order but this will not be easy or cheap to get - you will need to make a formal application and justify why one is needed - due to the complexityl of such application you will likely need a solicitor to draft it for you and represent you and that will increase the costs

Customer:

HI not really the answer I was looking for but thanks. The person is not only abusing me by they are including my 10 year old son, would this make any difference?

Ben Jones :

whether they include just you or your son as well does not make much of a difference - the best thing is to block this person from sending you further emails - finding out who they are will be a laborious exercise

Customer:

ok thought as much thanks, ***** ***** people like this are cowards and the law should be made tougher on these people

Ben Jones :

the issue is that with technology and the widespread use of internet and the ability to hide behind this cyber-wall it is ever so easy to do this and not so easy to spend resources on pursuing every single occurrence so only the more serious incidents are pursued further

Customer:

I understand but he has also accused me of theft in the email

Ben Jones :

accusing someone of theft is not a crime in itself, if he was serious about the theft he should report you to the police, then it can be a more serious matter if a false allegation is made to them but just calling someone a thief, as much as I understand is not nice to hear, is not in itself a serious offence

Customer:

I know im clutching at straws but I need this person found

Ben Jones :

Yes I understand but there is also the matter of being realistic in these circumstances - first of all you have nothing to lose by contacting the police, the worst is they say no. But then the only option open to you is launching the court route and the costs will significantly start building up then so whilst you can do it, it does depend on how much expense you want to incur in the process, without any guarantees wither

Customer:

thanks for your advise its been useful

Ben Jones :

you are most welcome, hope you get to resolve this one way or another

Customer:

will try to thanks

Ben Jones :

all the best

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'