12826847

Joe I,m Glenn I have just read a thread regarding a

Hi Joe
I,m Glenn
I have just read a thread regarding a speeding summons for doing 118 mph, this happened to me last week riding my ducati
Can l assume from your previous comments that a ban is certain.
I have no points on my licence and drive 30k a year primarily for my work which involves assessing remedial and some times urgent work in hospitals, I,m home based but travel to various sites during the week.
On the day in question it was my day off however l had a meeting at a sheltered housing scheme and was on my way to a hospital to show a contractor areas of work to be done. On my journey l had a transit van keep closing in on me at a series of roundabouts which was worrying and annoying I decided to make some distance between us and wasn't really monitoring my speed as it was for about half a mile
What do you think my approach should be, should l hire as specialist lawyer or just go in with my hands up
The penalty seems high especially as l'm likely to Los my job
Glenn
What was the speed limit please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
70 mph on dual carriage way
This is still a summons for speeding not dangerous driving?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just speeding at present, letter doesn't indicate anything else
The difficulty with this is that you are over the highest sentencing bracket for speeding.
The punishment for speeds of between 100-110 mph in a 70 mph zone is either 6 points or a ban of between 7 - 56 days. Since you are over the bracket realistically the starting point is going to be a short ban.
Unfortunately since this is an immediate ban there is no challenge of exceptional hardship.
it is possible that they could impose 6 points rather than an immediate ban but you obviously cannot rely on that.
With very high speeds you want to be emphasising shortness of any distance driven at speed, absence of heavy traffic, clarity of vision, clemency of weather etc if indeed you can do so truthfully.
You can use a solicitor. You are usually better with representation than without. It will rack up the costs though and the question is whether you are willing to incur the costs.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bad news for sure and in line with the thread l picked up on from on this site. The summons is worded the alleged offence carries a maximum fine of £1000 and a driving licence endorsement of 6 penalty points or disqualification at the discretion of the courts, is this just a standard letter format or more specific to the related speed.
That is a standard letter but that is basically the sentencing range.