Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

We have a private road with 4 houses accessing. We are currently

Customer Question

We have a private road with 4 houses accessing. We are currently building a house and finding it difficult to get the larger lorries on our land therefor on occasions we will block the road for 10-20 minutes. What is the legal position on this?
Megan
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

No doubt there will be a covenant in your Deeds to say you can't obstruct the road. However, on a practical level, the only action your neighbours could take would be to apply to Court for an injunction against you- to prevent you from continually blocking the road. In reality, this isn't going to happen as it will cost them £1,000's.

As it is a private road, no action can be taken by any other parties or body, including the Police.

I would suggest that you mention the possible disruption to your neighbours, as "a good neigbour".

I hope this helps and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards

Al