12826847

I am British nationality of German decent, domiciled in the

Customer Question

I am British nationality of German decent, domiciled in the UK since 1983. I have supported my parents in Germany voluntarily for years (a tax reducing expense in Germany, but not in the UK. I am a UK tax payer).

My mother is demented and owns a house, my father has all authorisation over her assets, but he does not want to sell the house.

To cut a long story short, the German Social Security now pays towards my mothers care home fees, and they asked me to provide information about my income, in order to establish whether I owe maintenance for my parents.

Am I legally obliged to give this info, even though this is not the law in the UK?

many thanks Annette

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am ok to wait longer, would like an answer if possible, please

best regards

Annette

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi again,

I did some more searching, and I think the answer is in the

2007 Hague convention

http://www.hcch.net/upload/conventions/txt38en.pdf

38. CONVENTION ON THE INTERNATIONAL RECOVERY OF CHILD SUPPORT AND OTHER FORMS OF FAMILY MAINTENANCE1

(Concluded 23 November 2007)

Article 2

Scope

(1) This Convention shall apply –

a) to maintenance obligations arising from a parent-child relationship towards a person

under the age of 21 years;

b) to recognition and enforcement or enforcement of a decision for spousal support when

the application is made with a claim within the scope of sub-paragraph a); and

c) with the exception of Chapters II and III, to spousal support.

(2) Any Contracting State may reserve, in accordance with Article 62, the right to limit the

application of the Convention under sub-paragraph 1 a), to persons who have not attained the

age of 18 years. A Contracting State which makes this reservation shall not be entitled to claim

the application of the Convention to persons of the age excluded by its reservation.

(3) Any Contracting State may declare in accordance with Article 63 that it will extend the

application of the whole or any part of the Convention to any maintenance obligation arising

from a family relationship, parentage, marriage or affinity, including in particular obligations in

respect of vulnerable persons. Any such declaration shall give rise to obligations between two

Contracting States only in so far as their declarations cover the same maintenance obligations

and parts of the Convention.

(4) The provisions of this Convention shall apply to children regardless of the marital status of the

parents.

I also found this

https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/JCO/Documents/Reports/international_family_justice_2013.pdf

2.3 The 2007 Hague Convention

The Hague Convention of 23 November 2007 on the International Recovery of Child Support and

other forms of Family Maintenance (the “2007 Convention”) will when ratified by the European

Union ensure the effective international recovery of child support and other forms of family

maintenance between all States party to the Convention. It will provide similar remedies to the

European Maintenance Regulation (see paragraph 2.5 below), except that the European Union has

decided Member States will operate the 2007 Convention for the time being with respect to child

and spousal maintenance only.

It seems to me that maintenance to parents is excluded, if I understood the text correctly.

Do you have an expert on EU conventions?

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would like to cancel now,

please send a refund