How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 31300
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am British nationality of German decent, domiciled in the

Customer Question

I am British nationality of German decent, domiciled in the UK since 1983. I have supported my parents in Germany voluntarily for years (a tax reducing expense in Germany, but not in the UK. I am a UK tax payer).

My mother is demented and owns a house, my father has all authorisation over her assets, but he does not want to sell the house.

To cut a long story short, the German Social Security now pays towards my mothers care home fees, and they asked me to provide information about my income, in order to establish whether I owe maintenance for my parents.

Am I legally obliged to give this info, even though this is not the law in the UK?

many thanks Annette

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am ok to wait longer, would like an answer if possible, please

best regards


Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi again,

I did some more searching, and I think the answer is in the

2007 Hague convention


(Concluded 23 November 2007)

Article 2


(1) This Convention shall apply –

a) to maintenance obligations arising from a parent-child relationship towards a person

under the age of 21 years;

b) to recognition and enforcement or enforcement of a decision for spousal support when

the application is made with a claim within the scope of sub-paragraph a); and

c) with the exception of Chapters II and III, to spousal support.

(2) Any Contracting State may reserve, in accordance with Article 62, the right to limit the

application of the Convention under sub-paragraph 1 a), to persons who have not attained the

age of 18 years. A Contracting State which makes this reservation shall not be entitled to claim

the application of the Convention to persons of the age excluded by its reservation.

(3) Any Contracting State may declare in accordance with Article 63 that it will extend the

application of the whole or any part of the Convention to any maintenance obligation arising

from a family relationship, parentage, marriage or affinity, including in particular obligations in

respect of vulnerable persons. Any such declaration shall give rise to obligations between two

Contracting States only in so far as their declarations cover the same maintenance obligations

and parts of the Convention.

(4) The provisions of this Convention shall apply to children regardless of the marital status of the


I also found this

2.3 The 2007 Hague Convention

The Hague Convention of 23 November 2007 on the International Recovery of Child Support and

other forms of Family Maintenance (the “2007 Convention”) will when ratified by the European

Union ensure the effective international recovery of child support and other forms of family

maintenance between all States party to the Convention. It will provide similar remedies to the

European Maintenance Regulation (see paragraph 2.5 below), except that the European Union has

decided Member States will operate the 2007 Convention for the time being with respect to child

and spousal maintenance only.

It seems to me that maintenance to parents is excluded, if I understood the text correctly.

Do you have an expert on EU conventions?

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would like to cancel now,

please send a refund

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice