13262538

i am on state pention of £226 per week this is what the law

i am on state pention of £226 per week this is what the law says i need to live on however i recently made a claim for rent allowance which was sucessfull previously i paid the rent of £87 per week out of my pention i argue this took me below what the law says i need to live on and iam hoping to claim back the 5 months ipaid the rent from the dwp am i right thank you
I am not sure I understand what you need to know.
I gather that you have applied for, and now receive, Housing benefit - is that correct?
Was that benefit backdated to the date of your application?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i applied for rent benafit december first 2014 it was backdated to first september 2014 ipaid my own rent and rates march 27 to september first i live on a boat and because i own the boat i was unaware i could claim for the mooring i phoned the dwp to be told it was my own fault i argued in paying my own rent it took me below what the law says i need to live on so it was ellegal to refuse a back claim and felt there would be laws to protect the unknowing thank you

Sadly in the UK not being aware of a benefit that you are entitled to does not mean that it can be backdated by more than three months.
There is simply no basis on which you can claim back what you did not receive between March and September.
I profoundly wish this was not the case and that is WAS the responsibility of the State to ensure people got their full entitlements - but I can only tell you the law asit stands
Please ask if you need further details