12826847

The police closed my coffee shop last Thursday under a 2014

The police closed my coffee shop last Thursday under a 2014 section 80 closure notice.
They kept me in custody whilst the closure order hearing was taking place at the magistrates court and so I could not object and the closure order was granted for 3 months.
I have a right to appeal within 21 days, the appeal is heard at Crown court.
The police say if I lose the appeal I will have to pay all the costs of the appeal which I just can not afford.
If I lose the appeal is it certain that I will have to pay the costs ?
I don't make much money from the shop and so would I qualify for legal aid for the appeal ?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this
You have to be realistic. It is quite likely you would have to pay costs. It is not certain. The Court will consider factors like your ability to pay, the reasonableness of the costs order etc. But it is likely you would have to pay at least something.
You may get legal aid for the appeal but the police are talking about the Crown's costs in defending the matter.
In truth, probably legal aid wouldn't be available as it doesn't carry custody but you can self represent.
I'm really sorry if that is not the answer you wanted but I can only give you truthful information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you ... I have a friend who would like to help me in court as I struggle with this type of thing . Will he be able to speak for me in court
Well, they shouldn't allow that as he doesn't have rights of audience but you never really know what will happen now. Magistrates Courts just make the rules up as they go along. Crown Courts are generally more aware of proper procedure.