12826847

please advise. I have just recd in post a date court

please advise. I have just recd in post a date for crown court appearance on 21st of april .I am in Egypt how do I get new date .
Are you on bail?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no . it was housing benefit and dwp investigation I had more money than I should have had. not now tho. I owe 9000 pounds and have been paying back weekly. im unemployed and 64 with a few illnesses.

Ok.
Then surely you are on bail?
You are the defendant?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

but ive not been seen by police or informed I was on bail this was all done under caution at council offices I agreed to the offence and started monthly paymnts. I was then told of three things mite happen a fine or magistrates court or crown court. I got a letter yesterday to appear at crown court . my last contact was june last year

If you are at the crown Court then you must have been to the Magistrates first?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no I am going to magistrates court Cambridge 21st april but im in Egypt on a family holiday and I would like to know how I can change the court date

OK. This is a first appearance at the Magistrates Court then not an appearance at the Crown Court. Therefore you will be on a summons.
If you are on summons then there is no Bail Act offence in not attending. What may happen though is that they could proceed in your absence which you want to avoid really.
In terms of new dates, there is no right to demand a new date but if you show evidence of a prebooked holiday then they will usually vary the court date.
You can either call them and explain or go into the court with prove of travel. Either way has disadvantages as the right person is never there but at least if you call it doesn't waste half a day.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have sent court an email but I will ring tomorrow and discuss thank you

No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/