75100385

My car was insured (Lloyds) Fully Comp. Full 'No Claims'. I

Customer Question

My car was insured (Lloyds) Fully Comp. Full 'No Claims'. I had 2 minor body-work scratches, one done by me due careless parking, the other done -unseen by me- by a 3rd party in a car park. My windscreen cracked. I had the repairs done and discussed submitting a claim with Lloyds. Firstly I was told they would not consider the claim as I had already had the repairs done. Secondly I was told - a week later - that although I had not submitted a claim my premiums would be doubled, as my risk category had changed. Is this legal, or even fair practice ? I immediately cancelled my policy with Lloyds and changed my Insurer without any problem, but I would like to register a complaint about Lloyd's response.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : What does your policy say about what you need to declare please?
JACUSTOMER-suvzreee- :

As per standard practice, I am reqd to give details of any 'accidents, traffic offences, or insurance claims. At the time of renewal my answer was 'none of any', because the paint scratches were v. minor, and I was having them fixed (together with the windscreen) at my own expense. I then discussed making a claim for the windscreen, but was refused as the work had already been done ! I then discussed a claim for the minor body work (again refused as the work had been done) I think Lloyds decided that I had not declared an 'accident', and then re-catogorised my status and doubled my premiums. My question is - Is this legal, given that I had not been involved in an accident and had not made any claim, and do I have any redress ?

JACUSTOMER-suvzreee- :

PS - E-mails may be crossing here. You answered my question with another question - which I have answered above.- Peter Leach

Alex Watts :

I suppose it is what is the definition of an accident. If you scrape your car is that an accident or does there have to be a reasonable impact.

Alex Watts :

I guess if you did not declare that you had an accident, that is against your policy.

Alex Watts :

Most insurance companies ask if you have had an accident whether or not you have claimed. If this was what you were asked then you should have ticked yes.

Alex Watts :

However what you need to do is write and formally complain. They will investigate the matter and report back to you.

Alex Watts :

If you are not happy with their response then you can complain to the Ombudsman. They offer a free, independent service and can examine your complaint at: www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-suvzreee- :

No - I'll follow your advice. Many thanks - Peter Leach

Alex Watts :

Happy to help Peter.

Alex Watts :

If this does answer your question could I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply