How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 803
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

I have a tenant in my house who i gave notice to three months

Customer Question

I have a tenant in my house who i gave notice to three months ago and she has told me she will be moving out tomorrow so i have given notice where i am staying and must leave no later than wed my question is if she does not go can i let myself in when she is out and change the locks without getting arrested the only proof i have is a text message from her saying she will leave at the end of the month
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this.


I assume she is an assured shorthold tenant, as most tenants are.


I will also assume that you have given valid notice and that the fixed term of her AST has expired.


If she has not in fact not left you can not enter and change the locks on her as this would be an unlawful eviction for which you could be arrested and prosecuted.


You would need to go to court to get a possession order before you could evict her.

Related Law Questions