75100385

, I was assaulted by been punched in the face on the weekend

Customer Question

Hi, I was assaulted by been punched in the face on the weekend by a drunk man at a pizza shop, we then called the police and did not retaliate to his mumbling leading up to their arrival.
I then got questioned by an officer and gave my name address etc and he said that he would get in touch tomorrow regarding a statement, that was fine.
I then waited over by a wall and another officer came and asked for my name and I replied what was their badge number ? (as it was not visible). She refused and then just went away. I asked one of the officers that was with her could I have their badge number or for them to identify himself as I did not believe they were a police officer and of course she came to take my details.
He then said it was in my best interest to leave as I was not getting any information as I was filming and he would not talk because of that so I just thought ok I will not make a big deal out of a simple question so I proceeded to leave and notified the officer that he would be on You Tube. As I was walking away about 30 yards down the street he and another officer come running down the road at me, one officer to the right hand side and another starting grabbing my arm pulling me saying, What did you say ?
My girlfriend was with me at the time and the officer pushed her out of the way to get at me, at this point I see another officer on my right hand side looking as if he was ready to pounce on me. I told my girlfriend to carry on walking with me as I believed that what they were doing was outrageous and not lawful as I only said the video would be on youtube.
As this was happening there were a crowd on the street and they started vocally showing their disagreement with what the officers were up to, as I said carry on walking he let go of me and went back up to his car with the other officer.
I was talking calmly and courteous to the officers and this is the thanks, ***** ***** assaulted and then I get treated like the criminal, couldn't believe it.
It was all filmed. I was hoping you could advise on this and the best course of action to take to ensure this does not happen again and what laws has he broken in chasing and grabbing me for no reason apart from telling him the film would be on you tube and only initially asking for the officers badge number and to identify herself as she was asking me for my details without any shoulder number. Thank You.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

What is it you want to achieve please?

JACUSTOMER-uf1f328m- :

I would like to know if this is ok for an officer to do, what law if any have they broken and what action should I take so as this will not happen again

Alex Watts :

I think it is unprofessional. I don't any law has been broken but you should write to the Professional Standards Department of the Police force and make a complaint.

Alex Watts :

They will investigate what has gone on.

Alex Watts :

You can provide the video.

Alex Watts :

The PSD can investigate the matter for you and see whether anything needs to be done to discipline the officer.

Alex Watts :

But write to Professional Standards and make a formal complaint.

Alex Watts :

That should resolve it for you.

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-uf1f328m- :

Yes, I was thinking to make a complaint about it but I don't see how an officer can come running after someone for saying the video will be on you tube and grabbing me. He then walks off after I said to my girfriend carry on walking as I knew I didn't do anything wrong, did I do anything wrong ? Is it allowed to say the video is going on you tube ? The officer told me also he did not like being filmed.

Alex Watts :

Indeed, I agree.

Alex Watts :

It makes no difference whether they like being filmed.

Alex Watts :

You didnt do anything wrong.

Alex Watts :

So write a formal complaint to PSD and see where it goes from there

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

JACUSTOMER-uf1f328m- :

yes that confirms what I wanted, thank you for your advise. One more thing, do you think in your opinion that it would be time well spent to make a complaint or do you think nothing will happen even if a complaint is made...

Alex Watts :

The time will be well spent.

Alex Watts :

Especially with video footage

JACUSTOMER-uf1f328m- :

ok thank you for your time

Alex Watts :

Great. If could ask you to rate my service before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply.