Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm

i have been talking to Jo C and she has been excellent however

Hi i have been talking to Jo C and she has been excellent however i am after more opinions on below as i am really struggling to get on with life at the moment , I have a wife and 2 kids and they will not get on if i am taken away !!..
Please read below , It is important to note that i have not yet been contacted or charged with anything , However viewing the CCTV footage supplied to one opf the 6 charged with Affray on the day you can see me acting aggresivly , However only after the actual skirmish had finished , I did not hit anyone , I did not break anything , I did not throw anything on this CCTV the same remained throughout the day whilst we were chapperoned to and from stations .
I may be worrying about nothing however as much info as possible i am after at the moment , Predominantly for me to be able to function day to day whilst waiting it out !!..I am terrified looking at the penalties for affray etc ...
Jo C has advised me not to attend a police station voluntarily as of course at this stage there is no evidence they are even looking for me or anyone else that i am aware of , However i do read about CCTV stills being released some 6-7 months later ,
Hi. I need some advice as I amenable to eat or sleep at the moment. I attended a football match some 4.5 months ago at which there was some public order problems , whilst I remember jumping around chanting and gesticulating I could not recall any other issues , However ? 6 persons involved were arrested a week later and have now been charged with Affray ..
It is only when someone showed me the CCTV footage that I realised how prominent I was in a small portion ! I was not involved in the actual fracas and threw nothing and hit no one and caused no damage , However you can see me joining the group once the police had broken up and pointing etc , I recall I was pointing at the opposing fans and telling the police officer it was their fault as they attacked our guys.
Now I could have behaved better no question however I was caught up in the day by then No excuses . I have never been in trouble before and have an excellent job and young family , I have not been to a football match since the fa cup game and will not be going again.
There is no evidence that the Police wish to charge me and 4.5 months later I have not been arrested or questioned , However after seeing footage should I voluntarily attend a police station ? I a,struggling to function at home and work due to the worry
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I will pass you onto somebody.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Jo i got this worng didnt i !!.
Thanks if you could , Your advice is sound , However you can never have too much , High maintenence for someone who has not yet been charged with anything !!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, no problem.
I'm sure he will be on soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great if you could let him know , Thanks so much for your help , It is slowly giving me a better understanding and more confidence in my situation , Thats is what i am after
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with your question today.
I have reviewed your conversation with Jo C.
On your account you've done nothing wrong.
The police don't seem to be looking for you either.
Going to the police voluntarily is not something I would advise.
It would be a pointless exercise and quite frankly would probably end up causing you even more stress.
I really see no reason to go to the police.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alice , From my point of view i was very vocal throughout the day and would goad opposition fans , So i could accept if i was collared for that on a public order charge and even pay a fine and community service as this is just not me .

My main concern is the Affray charge ...... On the CCTV footage i have viewed which was shown to me by one of those already charged you can see me heading towards the trouble spot however the fighting had dissipated , And standing behind the group involved pointing and shouting , Then in conversation with a police officer were i am pointing and saying , Thats their fault they started it !!....The issue is we are then chaperoned by police and some taunting continues etc same after the game , I have to say i had not deemed anything i did serious enough to worry about and had not given it a second thought for 5 months until i was shown the CCTV on friday .....Now i am unable to get through each day without fearing the worst ...I am expecting CCTV stills to be released any day or a knock at the door !!...

I have a wife and 2 children who rely on me and would probably lose the house if i was to go to prison for Affray ......It would be my first offence and i have a good senior management position with a national company so i am hoping all that will go in my favour , However i dont expect it to be a get out of jail free card , No one can be as upset as me right now

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
I understand - but you said you've never been in trouble before so do you really want a criminal record now?
A level of goading the opposition at a sports event is not a criminal offence.
What you did later is not an offence on your account.
I understand your concern and you have to do what you think is right.
If you want to go and see the police then you run the risk of being arrested and/or being charged with affray.
But I see no reason to go and see them now.
If you decide to go you must take a solicitor with you so you can be advised about the strength of the evidence and whether you should answer questions or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree I should not go and see them now. I am trying to get on with my life but struggling .. Not sure how long I can go on. I've no doubt they would charge me with something I am struggling with affray though. The 3 already charged have pleaded guilty to affray but are going self defence.
I seem to be living every day waiting for an escalation in terms of a knock at the door or a release of CCTV footage . Do you think this is likely 5 months later ? They have arrested and charged 6 already one week after the event on nov 9th
What's your proffesional opinion on my fate / outlook and what I should do going forward. .
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Its impossible to say whether the police will be looking for anybody else. Unfortunately there is no strict time limit to prosecute for these offences although the more time that passes the less likely a prosecution will be.
From your description of your role, I think a prison sentence is unlikely and worst case for a some shouting etc in the street is likely to be a community penalty such as unpaid work.
Prison is usually for more serious violent disorder e.g. weapons, throwing objects causing damage and fighting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so even though you can see me on the CCTV clearly join the group from the rear gesticulating and pointing I don't throw any punches nor do I throw anything nor do I break anything ?
I may be worried over nothing of course as it has been 5 months . No further arrests have been made .. There was fighting and damage on the day but not directly caused by me. I am utterly ashamed and at wits end.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry see both replays. The main fight takes place inside a bar that's we're the CCTV is
I just really need some direction I know it's hard to answer ..... I know no one can be certain however if I should worry less then great if I should worry more then I need to know .
Do you need any more info on the days events or myself ?
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Without looking the CCTV a myself it's impossible to give you a definitive answer. But your original question was : should I go to the police. The resounding answer to this from two experienced lawyers is: no.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks Alice , The issue for me is that i am not coping both at work or at home at present .

If police release CCTV stills {What do you think the liklehood of this is Jo C said unlikely}

Should i hand myself in then ?

Would they be more lenient on me if i was to do this as well as taking into account my previous good nature and responsibilities

Lets say they charged me with Affray with all taken into account what would i be looking at do you think as a first offence ?

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
If the police circulated CCTV stills (which they could have done before now) then handing yourself in at that stage would certainly make sense.mbut,Maurice frankly, the fact that nothing has been published so far suggests they probably won't do this.
On the basis of your good character and minor role in all of this I think a community order involving unpaid work is the most likely outcome if you're found guilty. A prison sentence is only for the most serious offences or for repeat offenders and this does not apply to you.
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience: Partner in national law firm