12826847

, My name is ***** ***** I live in London. I have debts owed

Customer Question

Hi, My name is ***** ***** I live in London. I have debts owed to Banks in the last five and half years. One of these I've a County Court Judgement which I've made arrangement to pay the least I can afford every month. In others, I've defaulted any plan put in place for the repayment partly due to the CCJ constraints on my ability to get a good job out there and the changing companies who have taken over these debts. These companies have now transferred my debts to Debt Recovery Agencies who are now threatening me with Legal action to recover these debts in full unless I make an acceptable payment plan to pay off the debts.
My problem is that I do not earn enough at the moment to enter into any fresh arranrgement apart from the little earning from my driving jobs which I've to hire a vehicle as at when I can afford it.
From these perspectives, what are the rights for someone in my position?
I'm 62 years of age and would be 63 in September 2015. Thank you!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What would you like to know about this ?
Are you asking if you have to pay?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm asking what could happen to me if I can't afford to pay the debts now?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Are these debts the subject of your CCJ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only one of the debts is subject of my CCJ.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How much is the CCJ and when was it issued?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was slightly over £7,000 but have brought it down so far to £6,000 plus now. (Sorry, I do not have the right figure now as I'm away from home). The CCJ was made in November 2009.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, that is fine.
Do you ahve a variation order on that to pay monthly?
If so, how much?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the CCJ was issued, the lender invited me to pay off the whole amount within 30 days to prevent the judgement being registered. By Failing to do that they calculated what I should pay monthly which amounted to over £200. I paid that for somtimes till I defaulted. The plan did not work for me anymore because of my cash flow problems. Then, after threats of further action against me, we came up with a plan to pay the least I can afford but subject to it being reviewed according to changes in my circumstances. This is more than a year ago and I can merely manage to keep up with this plan. I can't tell if this tantamount to variation by definition. Please excuse my ignorance.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
This debt is the one you want to be worrying about. They have a CCJ.
It sounds as though there was a variation order. If you can no longer maintain that then you need to go back to court for a further variation.
Do not just fail to pay though. Pay something every month. Apart from anything else it is easier to convince a court you will maintain payments if you keep paying something.
Forget the others for the moment. Those without CCJs can take very little action against you unless they are somebody like the Revenue.
Do not ignore this or you will have the bailiffs round who may take nothing but it will rack up the costs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please clarify the terms "variation order" in this context. You stated that those without CCJ can take very little action against me unless they are somebody like the Revenue. But like these ones, the one with the CCJ debt was not a Revenue body. Does this mean that similar action could be taken in future?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure how to describe it differently. A variation order allows you to pay in instalments.
Yes, the other creditors could sue you but they haven't yet.