75100385

My company (a ltd one say A) has been supplying another company

My company (a ltd one say A) has been supplying another company (a ltd one say B) for the past 10 year with a product that I (A) obtains from a manufacturer (say C). B agreed with A 10 years ago that A would supply the products. This agreement was by a handshake.
B has recently done a deal with C and pushed me out of the frame!
This is not a big business but B is the main customer of A.
What remedies do In have?
Thankyou
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know whether you have any contract in writing with C or between you and B?

Alex Watts :

I see you say there is a handshake, but not sure who that is in between.

Customer:

The handshake was with a person acting on behalf of B

Customer:

Can you confirm that I will only pay £56 for this info

Alex Watts :

Yes it is a one off fee.

Alex Watts :

What contract, do you have with C, if any?

Customer:

A has been doing business with C for a considerable time - C is awarev of whom B is

Alex Watts :

Ok. but is there any contract between you and C?

Customer:

A does not have anything written down, A and C have spoken a number of times in which A has said to C that B is A's customer

Alex Watts :

Ok thanks. Its bad news then I am afraid to say.

Alex Watts :

If there is no contract between you and C and no contract save for a handshake between you and B then this is a problem.

Alex Watts :

If it was never discussed that C would contact B or B would contact C then sadly you can not stop them.

Alex Watts :

There is no contract preventing contact and therefore nothing in writing which makes it harder

Alex Watts :

Therefore there was nothing stopping B contacting C or C contacting B.

Alex Watts :

Sadly there is nothing you can do because there was simply no contract in writing and nothing to prevent B and C talking.

Alex Watts :

If there had been a contract preventing B doing a deal with C or C with B then you could seek an injunction.

Alex Watts :

But in the absence of that you can't stop them talking.

Alex Watts :

I am very sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Customer:

If C asked me to procure products why is that not a contract - both A and c have been acting as though there is a contract in place

Alex Watts :

Yes it is a contract.

Alex Watts :

But that does NOT stop C going to B

Alex Watts :

Unless it was a term of the contract.

Alex Watts :

If you asked C to procure contracts, that does not stop C doing anything else.

Alex Watts :

Your contract was to procure products, that was it.

Alex Watts :

There is nothing stopping C going to B unless that was specifically agreed to discussed

Customer:

It is also the same with B, both A and B have been acting as though there is a contract in place ie the deal will be done between a and b and A and c.

Alex Watts :

Sadly yes. Unless it was agreed or discussed no contact, you can't stop it

Alex Watts :

It needs to be a term of the contract

Alex Watts :

I am sorry

Alex Watts :

I wish it was better news but there is simply nothing discussed or agreed that prevents contact between the parties.

Customer:

I am not suggesting that C cannot talk to B, or B talk to C but in the event that that has happened B has broken the contract with A that stated that A would supply these products to B

Alex Watts :

But it was not a term of the contract that prevented contact or to supply B. Therefore if it is not a term, you can't enforce it as there has been no breach.

Alex Watts :

If it was a term that C could not talk to B or supply products direct then you would be fine.

Alex Watts :

But from what you have said, sadly it is not.

Alex Watts :

Therefore if you took it to Court, you would need to seek an injunction. A Judge would ask on what basis are you seeking the injunction.

Alex Watts :

You can't say its because of a written contract, because there is not one.

Alex Watts :

You can't say because it was agreed C would not talk to or supply B because that was not agreed

Alex Watts :

I am very sorry, but this is why a written contract needs to be in place, to protect your position.

Alex Watts :

As there is no written contract sadly there is no term that has been breached that you can take action on.

Alex Watts :

I am very sorry

Customer:

But if at the time of the handshake there was no doubt that B would always obtain the goods through A what then?

Customer:

And if at the time of the deal with C then a stated that no contact would be allowed by A what then?

Alex Watts :

But it was not discussed as a term. Did you say you must not contact C?

Alex Watts :

If the answer is no, then it is not a term.

Customer:

I did say that

Alex Watts :

Did you say you can not get the products from C, then if not then it was not a term

Alex Watts :

You can assume, but assuming does not mean it is part of the contract

Alex Watts :

If it was a term that C said no contact then potentially you could sue for breach of contract

Alex Watts :

But you would have to show to the court it was an express written term or agreed between and and C.

Customer:

B agreed not to get the products from C

Alex Watts :

You need to say when it was discussed, words used, who was present, witnesses and prove on balance it was a term

Alex Watts :

Ok, then I will tell you what you need to do.

Alex Watts :

If you go to Court and lose then you will be liable for C's costs of defending the action. Typically around £15,000 or so

Alex Watts :

You need to complete form N1

Alex Watts :

http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf

Alex Watts :

And form N16a

Alex Watts :

http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n016a-eng.pdf

Alex Watts :

The court fee just to issue the claim is £250

Alex Watts :

The Court will list the matter for hearing and decide whether the matter is contested.

Alex Watts :

If it is then the matter will be set down for a final trial.

Alex Watts :

The judge will decide in the interim whether to grant an injunction stopping C sending items to B.

Customer:

If I am in the right what can (amount) I sue for

Alex Watts :

If the Judge does and it is breached then this is contempt of Court and they can be warned, fined or sent to prison

Alex Watts :

Further Court fees (not legal fees) are:

Customer:

How do I refer to this after we have finished

Alex Watts :

Once you rate the format changes, nothing else.

Alex Watts :

As for amount you are suing for, loss of profit, but you need to show what it is

Alex Watts :

Court issue fee £250

Customer:

Loss of profit for 1 year??

Alex Watts :

Fast track trial fee if below £25,000 claimed - £545

Alex Watts :

Above £25,000 fee is £1090

Alex Watts :

Customer:

I have to go for a couple of hours can I continue asking a couple of more questions for no extra fee?

Customer:

Loss of profit for 1 year only

Alex Watts :

Only if its related. Remember the fee you pay is for limited advice, rather than hours and hours, ie going to a Solicitor on the High Street who charges £200 an hour.

Alex Watts :

But you put the figure for loss of profit, issue the claim and seek an injunction

Alex Watts :

But as I have said, if you lose, you are liable to pay the fees

Alex Watts :

And the difficulty you have is confirming this was a term of the contract

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Customer:

I think there is nothing else - pls confirm my fee is £56 only

Alex Watts :

Confirmed its a one off fee.

Alex Watts :

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience