75100385

my partner claims housing benefits child support ect

Customer Question

Hello my partner claims housing benefits child support ect her ex has reported us as living together. I have my own house which I pay the bills on and I all so work offshore on the oil rigs so I work a 2 weeks on 2 weeks off rotation. We have a child together so when I'm home I stay over at hers an then sumtimes our boy stays at mine. I have my house on the market at the moment and when I sell it we do plan to set up home together. I'm just abit concerned that if they stop her benefits I will not b able to afford to pay both sets of bills until I sell my house.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Just to be clear do you spend any nights with your partner at all?

JACUSTOMER-9ewxi79s- : Hello yes I do spend the night at hers and spend time there during the day with our son it's never a fixed amount sumtimes 2 a week sumtimes 5 or 6 then our son spends 1or 2 at mine and then I'm away at work for 15 nights in a row
Alex Watts :

Has she ever declared you have been staying?

Alex Watts :

If not, why not?

JACUSTOMER-9ewxi79s- : No she hasn't we didn't think we needed to because I have my own house which I pay all of the costs and the only money I give her is for my child
Alex Watts :

Ok, well it needed to be declared, even if it is for 1 night a week,

Alex Watts :

This is because the law requires a declaration for ANY chance in circumstances, even if it makes no difference.

Alex Watts :

So it should have been declared.

Alex Watts :

That is not to say she is not entitled to benefits.

Alex Watts :

The council would need to prove you are living together, you are not.

Alex Watts :

But ideally anything over 3 nights a week should be reported.

Alex Watts :

They are unlikely to stop her benefit as in any event she would be entitled to hardship payments.

Alex Watts :

However even if they did stop benefits she could appeal the decision

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/