12826847

My car was parked outside in the Residents Car Park at the

My car was parked outside in the Residents Car Park at the Flat that I rent, during last night my Car was damaged by a piece of wood that had been blown of the roof of the Building by the high winds. On contacting my Landlord this morning advising them of the damage to my car caused by the piece of wood from there building, they advised me to claim for the damage to my car from my car insurance. I advised them that it was there responsibility to make sure that there building was in good order and that they should pay for the costs of repairing the damage to my car. I await there response.
Am I correct in that it is there responsibility to make sure that there building is in good order and that they should pay for the damage to my car, I have the piece of wood (Which is rotten by the way) that was blown off the Building (I believe because of poor or lack of maintenance). I have also taken pictures of the wood, also where it came from the building and the damage to my car.
It is their responsibility to maintain their building but they may be arguing that it was an Act of God. Given the weather conditions at the moment that is an argument that may succeed.
It depends really whether or not there is evidence that the wood was weak anyway and therefore more vulnerable to the windows. The fact is was rotten is a helpful point in your favour.
The real issue is whether or not there was debris coming down all over the place at this location or whether this was a single occurrence.