31090051

, after the death of our dad on 10 th Dec 2014 & the death

Customer Question

Hello, after the death of our dad on 10 th Dec 2014 & the death of my mother on 30th Dec 2014, my step brother went to the bank & secured 18 months worth of past bank statements to scrutinise. He made the appointment & did not make it clear to the bank manager at the time that my mum was not indeed legally his mum, just our father was his legal parent. Was he entitled to ask for all these documents which were for an account in joint names? My mum would never have given him her permission whilst alive, regarding any of her financial dealings a private matter. He is now trying to use these statements to his own end.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Unless your brother was executor or administrator of one or other of your parents, he had no locus to ask for these statements and the bank is at fault for providing them. On the death of your father, assuming the estate passed to your mother, he had no locus at all from what you say.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.