75100385

Sir/Madam, I am a tenant who has lived in my current

Customer Question

Hello Sir/Madam,
I am a tenant who has lived in my current rented property since July 2012. My first tenancy agreement was a two year assured tenancy agreement with the landlord through and estate agent. At the end of this agreement the agent demanded on behalf of the landlord a very high rent rise. After some negotiations we agreed through the agent on a rent rise we are both happy with and a contract extension for 18 months instead of the one year they had originally wanted.
I received yesterday by recorded deliver my notice to vacate the property by mid July 15.
It is worth noting that when we were negotiating the current contract last year the agent demanded £300 pounds contract renewal fee, which I paid. However a week later a received in the mail to copies of the original expired contract, which I assumed was an error on the agent’s side. I corrected the dates, signed and dated both copied by hand and delivered a copy by hand to the agent with a note explaining their error and asking for a printed and signed copy to be completed by them as per our agreement, which they never did.
• I have never faulted/delayed my rent payments.
• The contract stipulated that a two month notice period be given, so they have given me just over three.
• I am in possession of my hand signed and dated 18 month copy of the contract as well as the original expired 24 months one.
• I have never signed any contracts with the agent other that the two mentioned above.
I would like to know what my legal position is. What are my rights? Do I have to vacate the property by the given date (13 July 2015) or can I contest this?
Regards,
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Alex Watts :

Hello Alex my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

When you say your rights, what do you mean please?

Alex Watts :

Just confirm the date you signed the last contract?

JACUSTOMER-sloscrfe- :

Well, where do i stand legally in this matter?

JACUSTOMER-sloscrfe- :

is my copy of the hand written and signed contract valid?

Alex Watts :

When was it signed>

JACUSTOMER-sloscrfe- :

i signed the last contract in 12 Jun 2014

Alex Watts :

For how long?

JACUSTOMER-sloscrfe- :

18 months

Alex Watts :

18 months, right?

Alex Watts :

Signed by both you and Landlrod?

JACUSTOMER-sloscrfe- :

correct

JACUSTOMER-sloscrfe- :

no, the agent sent me expired copies of the contract. i corrected both copied by hand and signed both and delivered them by hand to the agent. they never sent a revised signed copy over to me.

Alex Watts :

So the new one was signed by both

JACUSTOMER-sloscrfe- :

yes it had the original signature of the landlord on it, but the wrong dates because the aget failed to correct them as per our new agreement.

Alex Watts :

Ok. But the new agreement specifically says it is extends your tenancy after 18 months

JACUSTOMER-sloscrfe- :

the new agreement i received from the agent was nothing but 2 photocopies of the olde 24 month agreement i had with them, with the old dates and the old period (24m). i had to correct both copies, the dated and the period by hand, sign and date and delivered back to the agent one copy requesting a fresh printed and signed copy, which they never did. but i kept one for myself!

Alex Watts :

Was the amended agreement with dates signed by both you and Landlord?

JACUSTOMER-sloscrfe- :

I never received a signed and printed copy from the agent. i asked for one but they never did sent one.

JACUSTOMER-sloscrfe- :

the amended copy had the original landlord signature and the new dates and my new signature.

JACUSTOMER-sloscrfe- :

JACUSTOMER-sloscrfe- :

You exited the chat without providing a reason or a single responce to any of my questions. you have also failed to provide any advice or guidance.

JACUSTOMER-sloscrfe- :

This was a wast of time and money!

JACUSTOMER-sloscrfe- :

i now have to seek advice elsewhere

Alex Watts :

Sorry I had to finish in Court.

Alex Watts :

Did the Landlord sign the AMENDED agreement?

Alex Watts :

Are you able to respond so that I may assist you?