75100385

I'm a self employed tiler and tiled a bathroom in January .

I'm a self employed tiler and tiled a bathroom in January . The job was nearly complete and customer said he wasn't happy. He had part paid me , he's now come back to saying he's had someone in says the work is not up to standard which I dispute. He's now asking for £2500 . He's costed job at £6000 to rip out and start again. Please could you advise best course of action because I don't have funds to repay also I dispute standard of work . Thank you
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Do you accept your work was defective please?
Customer: No client was checking all week , I left on Friday afternoon and when I returned on Monday he said he wasn't happy and wanted someone else to check it . On Friday he gave me part of the payment
Alex Watts :

Ok. What is is it you want to achieve?

Alex Watts :

The loss of profit?

Alex Watts :

Or just to defend the £2500?

Customer: Defend against £2500
Alex Watts :

If there was defective work then you should have been given an opportunity to put it right - this is mitigation of loss.

Alex Watts :

Therefore the customer can not just demand £2500 back.

Alex Watts :

If you refuse all he can do is issue a claim in the County Court.

Alex Watts :

You can dispute the work is of poor standard and that he has failed to mitigate his loss.

Alex Watts :

As such in any event the value of £2500 would be a small claim so even if it went to Court, you both would not need a lawyer.

Alex Watts :