29905560
Law

Is there any law against leaving a polite notice on a car

Hi Is there any law... Show More
Hi Is there any law against leaving a polite notice on a car window screen asking them not to park in front of my mothers front door as she is 90 and not very good at walking and 24 hour access is required, people continously park there on a daily basis but do not live on the estate most work at some units on the main roaf which is round the corner.
Show Less
replied 2 years ago.
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. It is highly unlikely that they would be able to take the natter any further legally. It is not unlawful to leave a note on someone's car window, although the only thing I can think of is if they try and claim that this amount to harassment. For this to happen there must have been conduct by you which amounts to harassment (something that would cause alarm or distress) and which has occurred on at least two occasions. Leaving a polite note with no threats is not harassment as it is unlikely to cause any distress to anyone so legally it is very unlikely that any legal action would go anywhere and leave you worrying about it

Customer:

If they continue to park outside the front door even after receiving a note is there anything else I can do to try

Customer:

If they continue to park outside the front door after receiving a note from myself is there anything else I can do to try and make them stop?

Ben Jones :

unless there are parking restrictions they would be free to park there, you would need to approach the Council to see if they can introduce any parking restrictions to assist

Customer:

The council was going to put yellow lines but there was objections from other residents on the estate so the council withdrew the plans for the work. So I do not have any other options and ther is nothing I can do?

Ben Jones :

very little unfortunately - if there is no dropped kerb or parking restrictions or a drive for access then they can park there

Customer:

Ok thanks, ***** ***** hoping you would be able to tell me something different but you have confirmed what the council have already told me.

Ben Jones :

I understand but that is your legal position unfortunately and I can't advise on something different if it is not possible

Customer:

Many thanks for your help

Ben Jones :

you are most welcome, all the best