75100385

I have received a fixed penalty notice a red

I have received a fixed penalty notice for contravening a red traffic light. £100 and three points on the license. I did not pass through the red traffic light, it was red when I arrived and I stopped before the light and was stationary. I was told to come to the side of the road before the traffic light turned green because my front tire of my motorcycle was inside the cycle box just before the red light. I feel that this was issued incorrectly. There was heavy traffic and I rode in the middle of the white line, the white lines between the traffic of my direction and the on coming traffic. I entered the cycle box due to the safety of the on coming traffic on the other side of the road. If I were to stop before the cyclist box, it would have caused the cyclist behind me overtake my motorcycle and leave him exposed to the on coming traffic.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Was this issued by a police officer?
Customer:

Yes it was. A P.C.

Alex Watts : Ok. Do you have any other points?
Customer:

Sorry I have been away from the computer.

Customer:

I am back in the office now.

Customer:

Any other points, such as?

Customer:

I have been asked to surrender my driving license to the police station within 7 days, however with the Easter holidays I wish to know if in you eyes the fixed notice with points was issued correctly or it was harsh. If the latter, I will request a court hearing, however I want to know what implications this carries. Such as a higher fixed penalty or more than 3 points added to the license, should I not win the court hearing. Please advise.

Customer:

Oh sorry, you mean any more points on the license. Yes I have 3 points for speeding around one year ago. That is all.

Alex Watts :

So to be clear you were over the line, but not past the red light?

Customer:

I was not over the red light. I have attached a diagram for you to understand what I mean.

traffic light
Full Size Image

Alex Watts :

Thank you, ***** ***** agree.

Alex Watts :

As such you can challenge the ticket, but it will mean going to Court.

Alex Watts :

If you win then you are acquitted.

Alex Watts :

If you are found guilty you will get 3 points, a fine and court costs of the trial.

Alex Watts :

But from what you have said, I am with you. You didnt cross the line

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Thank you for your help. Just to clarify, in your legal opinion you would agree that I should contest the charge and plead not guilty to the offense of contravening a red traffic light. Lastly, would they ever less the charge to only a fine and no points or a fine and a red light awareness course? Thank you for your help, much appreciated. Happy Easter.

Alex Watts :

I agree.

Alex Watts :

Happy Easter too!

Customer:

One last thing please, I checked the junction where I was stopped. I definitely did not cross the white line where the red traffic light is, but I did cross the white line where the bicycle box is. There is a triangle section between my side of the road and the on coming side of the road with diagonal lines through it, I rode on them I presume. Does this alter my case or you still agree that I should continue with the dispute? Thank you again.

Alex Watts :

If you did not cross the line then you are ok.

Alex Watts :

Does that clarify?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/