I am guilty reporting an accident with The Glasgow

Customer Question

I am guilty for not reporting an accident with The Glasgow Council. I am an hgv driver and I nudged a lamp post whilst trying a 3 point turn in an industrial estate. Connecting wires to the lamp post broke away.
There was very little in the way of damage to the truck, ( a small dent) which I reported by phone to my Transport Manager.
I tried to tidy up the cables but I was so sickened by the event and so filled with fear I drove away. Nobody was hurt and there was no other
I am presently distraught! I just cant live with the idea that many drivers share; 'that these things happen and don't worry about it!'
I have been driving with a CCDL since 1977 and I cannot afford to lose my licence of pay a fine. I am retired and trying to pay off debts. I am a home carer with my wife looking after 3 disabled lads; all have autistic spectrum disorders; the eldest has MS.
I cannot live with this even thought the council seems to have visited the scene and tidied it up.
I have resigned from all my hgv agencies; I hold my hands up: This was a act of carelessness! How can I make it right? I just can't live with this!
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
I have to say I think your reaction to this, or certainly the way you have described it in your narrative, is disproportionate to the incident itself.
You caused minor damage which has been repaired. You have a lot going on in your life. Whilst there are perhaps good morals attached to the way you feel and perhaps you should have reported this at the time, no one has been harmed by this and I would suggest you put this behind you and look after your family by getting on with your life and work.
I hope this helps. Happy to further discuss.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your encouragement.

I think I am burning because I thought I had severed telephone lines only to discover later that they were electrical lines.

I didn't mean to imply that the lines had been reconnected when I returned to the sight; the lines had been merely lifted up out of reach of the public! AND that is what is making me ill and depressed!

The pole is slightly off centre; it does look as though something heavy had moved it off centre.

In the meantime I have delisted myself from my driver's agencies as I am at the point of a breakdown!

Thanks once again. Should I be hearing from a Procurator Fiscal, or prosecutor would you be able to point me out to a good defence lawyer? I do know that there were a few members of the public who were around and witnessed the event! Another troubling thought!

Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
No problem. You can check out defence lawyers at but I'm sure it won't come to that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I haven't heard any more about this but

I have not treating this as though ' I got away with it!' This experience will haunt me for a long long time!

Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.