12826847

, I split up from my boyfriend two months ago he owes me

Customer Question

Hi, I split up from my boyfriend two months ago he owes me £343 which he's been saying he'll pay me back when he gets paid since December and currently has custody of a £695 African grey parrot that I paid for that he refuses to talk about when I ask him for it, he now refuses to speak or text me back at all is there anything I can legally do to get back the money he owes me thanks Clare
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Why does he have custody of a parrot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was something that we were supposed to jointly own but I'm the one that paid for it bought, my Ex has kids from a previous relationship and because we wanted the parrot to be friendly towards them we kept it at his house
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
That is a problem.
How long has he had him?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nearly 12 months
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
However much our pets mean to us they are property like any other item. This was a jointly owned pet. You do have a claim for your share of the worth of the parrot but there is no realistic prospect of getting a court to force him to hand him over I'm afraid. He has had him for 12 months and is the usual care giver. A court would consider that you paid but would conclude that the parrot was jointly owned and that you should be paid your share.
In terms of the amounts he owes though that is a simple matter of suing at the small claims court. It is cheap enough to do so and you can issue here
www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
It is probably a good idea to send a letter before action first even if you have already made those threats. It protects you from costs in the event of an unlucky outcome at court.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The money was given as cash and he borrowed money on my Argos card and bank card to buy his kids Christmas presents although there's no record of the money going directly to him would I still be able to take him to court
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You would.
You will have to prove that it was given to him but you can point to various transactions on your Argos card and cash withdrawals on your bank account.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He also has keys to my flat that he's refusing to give back is there anything I can do about that
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You could seek an injunction but it would be cheaper to change the locks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in rented accomadation my door is a fire door with built in lock I'd need to replace the whole door and the main door is an access door for the eight flats in the building so wouldn't be able to change the locks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
But he couldn't get into your flat with that key?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He currently has both keys and can access my flat anytime he wants we live in different towns and its roughly 40mins between our to homes it was him that chose to end the relationship so chances of him turning up are slim however for some reason he is refusing to give back the keys
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What you have to decide is whether it is really worth the cost of an injunction to you.
You could always report it to your landlord who may decide to the change the locks for security reasons.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem.
All the best.