13262538

What law in place pre 1927 could prevent an adopted person

What law in place pre 1927 could prevent an adopted person (Memorandum of Agreement through a Solicitor) from inheriting a share of an adopted family relative's estate.
Gordon Niven
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
There was no need for a law preventing an adopted child from inheriting prior to 1927 because prior to that date there was no legal adoption in the UK.
In fact the law needed to be changed so that adopted children COULD inherit after that date
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Why would someone employ a Solicitor in 1918 to draw up a Memorandum of Agreement and have it signed and witnessed if it was worthless? The adopted person inherited her adopted parents' possessions in 1969 without challenge.

Secondly I can check if the Agreement was registered after the Act, which may have made it legal. What do you think?

Gordon Niven

Whilst there was no legal process of adoption it still happened in an informal way (and had done for centuries)
The agreement that you refer to was one way of giving some certainty to the process.
There is no reason why she should not have inherited under a Will if she was named