12826847

ive been sent nip 77 mph on m25 by a variable speed

ive been sent nip for doing 77 mph on m25 by a variable speed camera on a non restricted motorway 70 limit
i thought there was a tolerence on 10 %
That is a bit of a myth.
Normally they are set to about 10% to allow for variations in technology. As devices are becoming more reliable that will fall away increasingly. Also, these devices are less reliable at lower speeds - it is easier to reliably detect 7 mph over the limit than 3 mph.
In any event, even if that were accurate, it doesn't mean they cannot prosecute this. 77mph in a 70 mph zone is indeed speeding. The only thing it would go to is that you could challenge the reliability of the reading from the GATSO.
The risk of doing that is costs if you lose.
Sorry if that is not the answer you wanted but I can only give you truthful information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks

i have two speedos in my car one manufacturer and one gps, there is a 10 % variation in the two readings both are top quality according to the gps i was going 71 mph at the time of the event if i opt four court decision will this have any weight as this is surly rare occurence to be penalised for travelling within 10 % of the speed limit.

cheers

You would only get 3 points even at court.
But the risk is costs. Generally you do get higher financial penalties at court and if you have a trial and lose you would face costs of £300-£600.
The fact that your devices showed a different reading would not likely outweigh a GATSO I'm afraid.