75100385

I recently stumbled upon a boat which was stolen from me

hi I recently stumbled upon a boat which was stolen from me over 10 years ago on someones property I am finding it difficult to prove ownership as I cant find the original receipt however I have contacted the man I bought the boat from 20 years ago and wondered if he could identify the boat for me and re issue me with a second receipt with original purchase details AND todays date and would this be legal and or proof of sale? thank you
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Does the seller you brought it from have the identification number documented anywhere please?
Customer:

I am not sure. I was going to ask him to identify it by sight

Customer:

the boat has modifications and some repairs done by the original seller which im sure he could identify if he viewed it. would any such viewing require witness to be valid

Alex Watts : If there is evidence then yes it can be used as a valid sale.
Customer:

so if I ask the original seller to come and identify the boat and then give me a receipt would that be valid?

Alex Watts : yes.
Alex Watts : if the police or the current owner refuses you may have to issue proceedings and get a court ordrt
Alex Watts : Order
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

to clarify- if police or current owner refuse to accept the receipt as proof I may need to take court action?

Customer:

also are the police still required to investigate the original theft? i.e. trail of evidence- I would still like to discover who stole the boat originally if for example the boat "disappears" again

Alex Watts : Sadly yes.
Alex Watts : the police are under no duty.
Alex Watts : Case law shows that. They should but are not under a duty to do so
Alex Watts : Does that clarify?
Customer:

yes thank you . frustrated but more informed. : ) thanks again for your help