LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

My car was hit outside my house by a driver who then drove

My car was hit outside my house by a driver who then drove off at high speed. My neighbour got the number and I rang the Police and reported the incident. They rang me the following day to say the car did not have a registered keeper and there was nothing they could do. I have since been informed that if a car with no registered keeper is involved in an incident, the previous keeper is liable for the costs as they didn't transfer the vehicle correctly. Is this true? Also, is there any point in contacting the MIB for guidance? My insurance company has said I will lose my no claims bonus, (I have been driving for over 50 years and this is the first claim against me) and will have to pay £200 excess.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this.

Customer:

hello

LondonlawyerJ :

The police can do things. They can look for the car and stop it. \Maybe even arrest the driver. You should call the police and see if they are circulating the car as suspicious. I don't think it is right that the previous registered keeper is responsible for the harm caused, even if the failed to complete the books properly. You also do not know why there is no registered keeper. It may not be anyone's fault.

Customer:

I have been to the Police station this morning and they were less than helpful, telling me to talk to my insurance company as there was nothing they could do.

LondonlawyerJ :

You could contact the MIB. If there is no registered keeper it is hard to see how anyone could be insured to drive. Whether to claim on your own insurance is a judgement call for you taking into account the level of damage, cost of repair and the likely rise in premiums as a result of doing so.

Customer:

My insurance company told me there was no insurance on that car so I couldn't make a claim against it. Basically what you're saying is the same as everyone else, tough luck, take the hit and get on with life

Customer:

Why did you go offline?

Customer:

So it looks like I will have to lose all my hard earned nio

Customer:

no claims bonus and pay £200 excess then?

LondonlawyerJ :

I didn't go off line deliberately. I am afraid that without the culprit then your options are limited. Even with him unless he has some means there will be little you can do.

Customer:

So what is the use in paying car insurance? I might just as well be like the other driver and drive round with no insurance because it looks like the much vaunted ANPR is useless, or maybe the Police aren't bothered as it causes too much paperwork.

Customer:

I'm sure you know what you're talking about, but you'll understand why I'm not happy with the answer, but I'll rate you anyway. Thank you for your time