13262538

My partner divorced almost 2 years ago. Before he left he

My partner divorced almost 2 years ago. Before he left he paid mortgage on house for 2 months in advance of leaving, and left his then wife the marital home. The mortgage was not transferred into her sole name upon the divorce becoming absolute. Last year he discovered that his wife was abandoning the house and moved into a flat leaving the house in an uninhabitable state along with mountains of debts and the mortgage company wanted to reposess the house. He had it valued and due to all the damage and repairs needed the house was in negative equity by at least £45.000 so having it repossessed was not an option. He took over the house, changed the locks, and has paid up the mortgage arrears, but not any of the outstanding other debts. During the last year he has invested every spare penny in remedial works and bringing the house back up to a habitable standard. Last week we heard that his ex wife is again in financial difficulty and are worried that she will want to move back into the house now that it has been made good. We have tried asking the mortgage company to take her name off the mortgage but they say that he needs to be mortgage arrears free for 12 months before they will allow that. Does his former wife have a right to move back into the property?
Was there ever a financial order made within the divorce proceedings?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no there was not. No awards were made or claimed, just a straight divorce.

How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my apologies for the abrupt response earlier, I am not used to this sort of thing.

We have not had it re-valued yet but judging by others in the same area we think the house is probably now worth £170,000 having re-invested approximately £30,000 in repairs, and the mortgage stands at roughly £148,000.

Can you prove the expenditure on repairs?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Claire,

we had the house valued at it's worst last year, and have kept receipts for the materials, and tradesmen that were used, I haven't totted it up completely yet as there are still some bills not in yet, but for the main I can safely say yes we have most of the proof.

Jem

How much was it worth when you took it over?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the valuation report by the estate agent was £120,000

Excellent - last question I hope - how long until he will have been out of arrears for 12 months?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Claire,

I think the magic month is this coming June.

Jen

legally as a joint owner she is entitled to return to the property whenever she wishes - and she is entitled on the face of it to half the equity - although there are good arguments to negate that
It would be a good idea to try and get his ex to agree to the transfer of the mortgage - get the forms signed in advance.
If she will not agree or demands an unreasonable amount of money then (assuming that you have not married him) then he will have to make a financial claim within the Divorce Proceedings for the property to be transferred to him
Given the history this is likely to be granted
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Claire,

Thank you for that. Oh dear, given her former behaviour and threats there is no way his ex will sign any paperwork, of that I am quite certain.

When the police visited (and they did a few times) they said the damage she had done to the house was criminal, and they were truly appalled by the condition of it. It doesn't seem at all fair that we have come this far, gone without and have not a penny left, to find she is able to waltz back in and wreck it all again.

How does he go about making a financial claim within the divorce proceedings if the divorce is already absolute? Also, how much will it cost?

Just to check - he has not remarried?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no, he has not re-married, would that make a difference?

Yes it would have made a big difference!
As things stand your partner need sto arrange an appointment with Family mediation
www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk
(this is compulsory)
Once that is done he can apply to the court for the financial issues to be dealt with using a Form A available here
http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/form-a-eng.pdf
The fee is £245
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare,

Thank you for your guidance, and for the links, they are very much appreciated. If you don't mind my asking one last thing, how would he being re-married make a difference? we co-habit as it is now.

Jen

If he had remarried he could not have used the Divorce proceedings to claim more than half of the house
Cohabitation does not create the same legal relationships
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.