29905560

I used my hair straighteners at work in a clients bedroom which

Customer Question

I used my hair straighteners at work in a clients bedroom which I know was wrong,
Would this be classed as misconduct or gross misconduct?
The person whose room I used did not see, touch or find them as they were placed out of sight and he was supported the whole time he was in his room and his door was locked to prevent any other service user finding them
My manager is saying it is gross misconduct as he COULD have been burnt etc but although I know I shouldn't have used them there was no adverse effect to the service user
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Ben Jones : Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for?
JACUSTOMER-lu6tv6ws- :

Hi 4 years

Ben Jones :

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I experienced some temporary connection issues and could not get back on the site until now. All appears to be resolved now so I can continue dealing with your query.

Whilst you say that nothing bad happened as a result, it is not necessary for something to have actually happened for this to amount to misconduct or gross misconduct. The actual act of doing something which could have resulted in something bad happening could be treated in the same way as if it had happened. The issue is whether what you did was something which was serious enough to amount to gross misconduct and that would depend on any specific policies which you may have broken and if they define this as an act of gross misconduct. Even if this is not gross misconduct it is likely to amount to misconduct as you have most likely breached health and safety rules and exposed service users to potential harm.

So do not think just about what HAS have happened – the law also looks at what COULD have happened and it would be determined based on the seriousness of the offence. As mentioned this is measured based on specific workplace policies and the potential harm.

In terms of taking the matter further, misconduct is a common reason for taking disciplinary action against an employee. It could be due either to a single serious act of misconduct or a series of less serious acts over a period of time.

In order to justify that disciplinary action on grounds of misconduct was fair, the law requires that the employer:

• Conducts a reasonable investigation;

• Follows a fair disciplinary procedure; and

• Shows they had reasonable grounds to believe the employee was guilty.

In addition, the employer is expected to follow the ACAS Code of Practice on disciplinary and grievance procedures. Altogether, it means that a disciplinary procedure should be conducted as follows:

1. Investigation - a reasonable investigation is needed. What is reasonable depends entirely on the circumstances and especially the nature and seriousness of the allegations. The more serious these are, the more detailed the investigation needs to be.

2. Disciplinary hearing - if the investigation provides sufficient evidence of misconduct, the employee may be invited to attend a formal disciplinary hearing. They must be given prior notice of the hearing, including details of the allegations, allowing them time to prepare. They have the legal right to be accompanied at the hearing but only by a trade union representative or a colleague.

3. Decision and penalty - following the disciplinary, if the employer holds a genuine belief that the employee was guilty, then they can go ahead and formally sanction them. When deciding on the appropriate penalty, the employer should consider the nature and seriousness of the offence and the employee's disciplinary record. Unless the offence was one of gross misconduct, ACAS recommends that the employee should be issued with a written warning.

In summary, an employer is not expected to prove that the alleged misconduct had definitely occurred. Disciplinary action will be fair if the employer can show that it had conducted a reasonable investigation, followed a fair procedure and held a genuine belief that the employee was guilty. Finally, it must show that the penalty was a reasonable action to take in the circumstances and one that a reasonable employer would have taken.

If there are any doubts about any of the above and there is belief or evidence that the employer has not satisfied these requirements, an appeal can be submitted to the employer immediately after the disciplinary outcome. If the disciplinary results in dismissal then a claim for unfair dismissal can be made in the employment tribunal. There are two requirements to claim: the employee must have at least 2 years' continuous service with the employer and the claim must be made within 3 months of the date of dismissal.

I hope this clarifies your position? If you could please quickly let me know that would be great, as it is important for us to keep track of customer satisfaction. Thank you

JACUSTOMER-lu6tv6ws- :

hi

JACUSTOMER-lu6tv6ws- :

Thank you also manager is claiming they were left on ( so hot) and that they had been in office cooling down both these facts I know are untrue and are backed up by person that found them although she hasn't put these in the meeting minutes ( that she said they were left on and left in office to cool down)

Ben Jones :

this is all part of the investigation and you need to highlight this point to them and if it has been omitted you need to write to them to ensure you make it clear it should be included. Also you can ask the person to act as a witness to confirm your side of the story.

Ben Jones :

Does this clarify things a bit more for you?

Ben Jones :

Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? I just need to know whether you need further help or if I can close the question? Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Could you please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else in relation to this? It is important for us to know either way so we can track customer satisfaction or identify whether I need to help you further? Thanks