13262538

My partner's father passed away last week. She is the youngest

My partner's father passed away last week. She is the youngest of three surviving daughters. His granddaughter has put herself down as next of kin and is an executor. She refuses to give any information on the circumstances of his death and the hospital has refused to answer questions on the basis that she is not next of kin. My partner only wants to know what he died of but can't get that information. Can a grandchild deal with this officially if they are not next of kin? What can she do please?
Did he leave a Will?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes there is a will which we have been refused a copy of.

I am afraid that only the Executors are entitled to a copy of the Will at this stage - she does not have to show it to you.
equally I am afraid that if she is the Executor then she is also the only one to whom the hospital can release information.
However the death certificate is a public document and you can obtain a copy from the Registrar which will give the cause of death
I hope that this is of assistance
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. I still don't understand how someone other than next of kin can act as such and block out the true next of kin when it is them who are wanting to deal with it and get the information (aside from the will, which I get).

The Title "next of kin" does not give any specific legal rights I am afraid- but being the Executor of a Will does and that is why the Hospital has to deal with them