Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

The freehold is being transferred to our management company.

The freehold is being transferred to our management company. Out solicitor quoted £800 two years ago. There have been issues with the developer's solicitor. Last year we paid £1000 and now we have been sent a bill for a further £2000. Can we ask for a breakdown of the charges and can they charge us for the information?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Did they ever warn you before incurring the additional charges?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They just said that there were matters which need to be sorted out regarding covenants and that the original freehold had been badly set up. We have had to keep asking for updates and having meetings to discuss lack of progress but finally seem to be nearing completion. We signed TR1 two weeks ago but the developers solicitors have returned them as they show different provisions? There has been no information about costs and, as it is 12 months since they last billed us, we have asked for details of costs - £1636 + VAT

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Under the Solicitors Code of Conduct they should provide you with regular information including any updates or revisions of the costs.
If they have not done this you have two options:
(i) Your retainer letter should contain details of the partner in the firm who you lodges a formal complaint with;
(ii) If they do not take your complaint seriously then you can complain to the Legal Ombudsman www.legalombudsman.org.uk/
You are entitled to a detailed break down of the costs - if they insist on charging you for it, say to them you do not understand what possible charge they could make as this information should be readily available on ledge or accounting system they are required to keep under the solicitors code of conduct detailing the time spent on your matter.
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.