31090051

While driving my cab in Edinburgh 2004 I was assaulted and

Customer Question

While driving my cab in Edinburgh 2004 I was assaulted and my cab completely wrecked by my assailant. My assailant was with his partner a woman police sergeant with Strathclyde police force. ........ My assailant was fined for the crime. I decided to start a civil action against him the court found in my favour and the assailant was told to pay me the sum £180,000 he filed for bankruptcy and I got nothing.
His partner the police woman stood by and watched me and my car getting thrashed. I have never been able work since the assault and I have been taking medication for PTSD since the assault. As a serving police officer who's duty it is (written in their manual) to intervene when they see a crime being committed
they must identify themselves as a police officer and take charge of the crime or phone for help. she did neither and for that reason she allowed the incident to escalate.
(I never new she was a police officer until one week after the incident) I would like to take civil action against this police officer or her police force. Do I have a case?
Regards *****
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
There is every possibility that you could have taken action in the way that you describe, however, there are legal time limits in the taking of civil action, in this case three years from the date of the incident. Any right of action is now time barred and would fail for that reason alone.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.