Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I share a joint bank account with my wife. In the event that

I share a joint bank account with my wife.
In the event that I die, is this account frozen until probate is obtained in the same way as my own personal bank account?
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

May I clarify for the avoidance of doubt that neither you nor your wife have given notice to the bank that you wish to hold the account as "tenants in common" please?

Joshua :

This would be very unusual...

Customer:

We opened the account when we moved house and have only used it occasionally. otherwise we botdh have personl accounts for personal matters

Joshua :

Thank you. providing neither you nor your wife have notified the bank you wish to hold your joint bank account as tenants in common, which is above, would be most unusual, then in the event of one of your deaths, the account and contents would pass automatically to the survivor of you; this is irrespective of what may or may not be provided for in your wills.

Joshua :

Accordingly, in the event that you were to pass away, the joint bank account would transfer automatically to your wife without interruption and any balance would belong to her. The same is true vice versa

Joshua :

is there anything above clarify for you?

Joshua :

*I can clarify for you?

Customer:

That is helpful as I could top up the account so that she has some ready cash until such time as probate is obtained

Joshua :

Many people decide to do exactly that in order to ensure their respective spouse have sufficient working capital to tide them over until probate is granted.

Customer:

thank you

Joshua :

A pleasure. If I can assist any further as the situation develops please do not hesitate to revert to me