Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

A friend of mine was driving home and parked my car. I opened

Customer Question

A friend of mine was driving home and parked my car. I opened the drivers door on the pavement, when a bicycle driving on the pavement hit the door. The cyclist had to have stitches to his lip. Who is at fault and what is the consequence.
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 2 years ago.

A classic situation where blame would be apportioned between you.

A cyclist is not allowed to ride on the pavement, not unless you are very small and have stabilisers on your bike. As such he should not have been there. However you failed to notice him.

Bot***** *****ne, for a cut lip, this is not worth the cyclist pursuing. He should have not been there anyway.

I hope this helps. If there are any further points please reply.

Best wishes

Michael

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The cyclist had to go hospital to have stitches. Can he sue and hold me liable. Will this affect my car insurance. I have a clean driving record with protected no claims. Should I inform my car insurance. Is this a criminal offence and what type of punishment can I receive.

The cyclist could claim for personal injury but may not do so knowing that he was in the wrong place. Shoulkd you receive a letter of claim you need to pass it straight to your insurers. You are very unlikely to be charged since both of you were partially to blame.

A successful claim against your insurers will put up your premiums.

Best regards

Michael