75100385

A friend of mine was driving home and parked my car. I opened

Customer Question

A friend of mine was driving home and parked my car. I opened the drivers door on the pavement, when a bicycle driving on the pavement hit the door. The cyclist had to have stitches to his lip. Who is at fault and what is the consequence.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

You are to blame as you should have looked before you opened the door.

Alex Watts :

However it is likely that a Court would reduce any award for contributory fault.

Alex Watts :

had he not been cycling then he would not have been injuired

Alex Watts :

However primary blame lays with you because you should have checked before opening the door

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-bichs854- :

Should I inform my car insurance. What is the likely punishment that I would receive. Ie jail, I have protected no claims bonus would this get affected. Should the claimant contavt my car insurance or reach out for personal injury.

Alex Watts : No police charges but yes tell your insurance
Alex Watts : even if later there is no claim you would keep no claim bonus
JACUSTOMER-bichs854- :

Would i go to jail. Would my car insurance cover the claimants injurys. Also the cyclist was driving on the pavement should he not be partly at fault

Alex Watts : No jail.
Alex Watts : no criminal court
Alex Watts : Yes your car insurance would cover it
Alex Watts : Does that help?
JACUSTOMER-bichs854- :

The cyclist at the time was driving on the pavement should he not be partly to blame

JACUSTOMER-bichs854- :

Also if the claim goes a ahead would this affect my no claims (this is currently protected)

Alex Watts : If it goes against you it will affect no claims. If it does not go against you it won't affect it
Alex Watts : He is partly to blame which is what I indicated above. So there is contributory fault. But you have a no claim policy not a no blame policy.
Alex Watts : But if your no claims is protected it shouldn't make any difference
Alex Watts : Does that help?
JACUSTOMER-bichs854- :

Alex Watts : Great. If I could ask you to rate my service before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen
Alex Watts : if you need more help please click reply
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/