75100385

there Iost my license back in 2006 due to drink driving.

Hi there
Iost my license back in 2006 due to drink driving. It was an off duty police man for a start and I don't believe I was drunk. I was on medication from doctor and I think they accelerated the effect of alcohol.
Anyway, now it is nearly 10 years ago and since then I moved to Japan. While here I applied to have my driving license back so I can swop it for a Japanese one. The DVLA said they won't give me my license back because I'm out the country and I would have to come back to UK for 6 months before I can apply. They sent me an official letter with all my details but Japan have to have the original license. There just be a way around this? I just want to swop it for a Japanese one. I have no intention of returning to the UK so what can I do? It time served and my license is clean.
Any advice is greatly appreciated. I've tried talking with Japan driving association and they took the case to the highest place but they have to have original license.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I want to know how I can get my UK license back after losing it to a drink driving offence. As I said it's been ten years but the DVLA said I have to be in the UK to get it back. I think it's ridiculous as I am a British citizen and I can provide proof to them for it as well as my family being in the UK to get it or provide proof etc.
So long story short is there a way or a legal loop hole I can get my driving license back without being in the country? I really cannot see why not. Just because I am abroad I can't get it? It doesn't make sense to me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
She asked me what I want to know about my question. I already wrote what I wanted to know so that just confused me.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Are you permanently living in Japan please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi there
I haven't left Japan since I arrived 7 years ago but I am not a permanent resident yet. I'm on spouse visa. I will apply for permanent residency next year.
Its bad news I am afraid. You need to be living in the UK to get it. However what you have to do for the moment is apply for a licence from Japan, then when you come back to the UK swap it for a UK licence.
But if you are not living here and have not been for some time, sadly they wont issue a replacement. The DVLA will be concerned its used for fraud etc.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yep I thought as much. It is ridiculous! If I can provide proof it's me especially with today's technology then I cannot see why not especially being a British citizen. I thought about the British embassy here that's British ground so why can't I do something from there. The whole thing needs looking at as it's crazy. They let polish people claim benefit in the UK for their family's in Poland!!! How is that normal?
Thank you for your service, at least I can forget about driving now.
I agree! I am sorry this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience