I joined a dating site and after the 6 month subscription the

I joined a dating site and after the 6 month subscription the site attempted to renew this subscription. I asked them to cancel the account but was informed that because I did not cancel the account within their required notice period, then I must pay for a 6 month renewal subscription.
I contacted the company and received the following reply:
In order to have a continuity of the service, every Premium Membership is automatically renewed for the same duration, unless the customer expressly asks for the cancellation of said renewal.
Your subscription started on the 08.08.2014 for 6 months. Unfortunately, your subscription was renewed because we didn’t receive a cancellation request from you at the latest 7 days before the renewal of your subscription.
I have since received a letter from a company called Teshinkasso who has been commissioned by the dating site to recoup the renewal fee which I have to date refused to pay.
I want to know if this is legal! I am not using the site and it seems preposterous that I have to pay for another 6 months because I did not inform the company I wanted to cancel within the 7 day period. Should I pay or do they have no leg to stand on?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Do their terms say you must give 7 days notice please?
Alex Watts : Have you paid on credit card or debit card ?

1. Every contract for the paid membership is automatically extended at the end of the contractually agreed period for the same duration as agreed for the original subscription if the customer does not give notice to cancel his/her contract at least 7 days before the expiry of the agreed term.

2. The termination of the paid membership is only effective if the notice of termination or cancellation has been made in writing (e.g. letter, fax or email).

Sory sent message before I had a chance to finish. The first message outlines their terms and conditions

Alex Watts : Have they charged you?

They attempted to take payment from an old debit card. when I would not pay they had a collection company send me a letter stating they want payment with interest

Alex Watts : Ok then don't worry.
Alex Watts : They won't pursue it. You can say it's a new contract and you are entitled to a cooling off period of 14 days.
Alex Watts : so ignore everything. It won't affect credit and they are unlikely to take it further
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Should I email the collection agency back or the dating site saying that it is a new contract?

Alex Watts : No, ignore everything
Alex Watts : Does that help?

yes, thank you, ***** ***** ignore any further letters I receive.

Thank you for your help

Alex Watts : Great. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen
Alex Watts : if you need more help please click r
Alex Watts : reply

I will do that now

Alex Watts : thanks
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience