How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ash Your Own Question

Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10914
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have rented out a house and hired an estate agency to collect

Resolved Question:

I have rented out a house and hired an estate agency to collect rent for the last 3 years. The tenant has now moved out and I have sold the house. I have been chasing my estate agent for the last eight months to claim deposit from the deposit protection service and to play the tenant's last month's rent to my accounts but the estate agent has not been responding to my request. The have visited the office at least three times all they do is sent message to account which is managed by the owner of the estate agent. I have sent several emails but again no response.
What can I do to put pressure for action? If I need to get legal action what is the cheapest option?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
Alex Watts : If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

What can I do to reclaim cost of court fees?

Alex Watts : The court fees are added to the claim automocal
Alex Watts : automaticallh
Alex Watts : @ automatically @
Alex Watts : Does that help?

what can I do if they still do not pay?

Alex Watts : You can enforce it by sending in bailiffs, charge on property, make them bankrupt etc.

So I can apply for bailiffs to claim back from an estate agency? What if the estate agency use the same bailiff?

Alex Watts : Yes you can apply for bailiffs. These will be court bailiffs. Don't worry about whether or not they are the same as the agency. They are court appointed and there to collect a debt

Just to clarify:


If they say that they have not received the last month's rent from the tenant and I can't get hold of the tenant to disprove this- what can I do?


What does enter Judgment and enforce mean?

Alex Watts : Ask the court for them to order disclosure of bank statements
Alex Watts : Eneter judgment means get the ccj and then send in bailiffs etc

So all the information I need is on this website: I can do this without hiring a solicitor to do it for me?

Alex Watts : corrext.
Alex Watts : correct


Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10914
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice