12826847

Jo, I stole two bottles of sample perfume from debenhams

Customer Question

Hi Jo, I stole two bottles of sample perfume from debenhams yesterday. The security alarm went off when I exit the shop. One of the girls from the shop came out and asked if I nicked it. She said she needed some help with the matter and pressed a button on her radio. My child then started screaming so she said to go. When I was searching for my car, I turned round and saw two police ( I think) entering the shop. I finally found my car and saw someone taking my car registration while driving off. I'm not sure if that's the police. The whole thing lasted for three minutes. I'm really worried that the police will track me down. Is it possible despite the girl at the shop told us to go? Thank you.
I am sorry but it very definitely is. They will almost certainly have attended as a result of this incident. Whether she told you to go is a non issue. It doesn't do anything about the theft.
Whether they can track you down is another matter. If they have the index of the car then they may. Otherwise they will have to rely on identification evidence and CCTV footage.
Sorry but I have to give you truthful information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your response Jo.
If it was the police taking down my registeration number, why didn't he arrest me at the time? When the girl pressed the button on her radio, will it connect to the security guards or police first?
Probably because you had gone or were going.
Usually to security staff who probably called the police
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So will they knock on my door to arrest me? Is that the usual practice??
They could do that. It depends what evidence they have. Of course, you may hear nothing at all.
Most likely they would just invite you in for interview as it is not time sensitive.