I am a company in Israel (Appletec Ltd) working with a company

I am a company in Israel (Appletec Ltd) working with a company in China (MLD). In our contract; resolution dispute is to occur in England. We have a dispute with the company in China over unpaid commissions and would like to send them a legal letter from England.
1) What will the letter cost?
2) If no answer is received and we press claim in an English court, what will it cost to do so?
3) If we are successful in our claim and the China company does business in England, what will it cost to have a lean placed on payments from England to the Chinese company.
Aaron Applebaum
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : For now please let me know the value of the claim?

Hi Alex,

Alex Watts : Hi Aaron

That is a hard question to answer. Appletec has both a signed commission agreement, and a email verifying that Appletec is owed commission for every unit sold. However I have no solid proof as to how many units were indeed sold. In the past Appletec sold the product directly to the customer. If I take as a number the same amount of product that Appletec sold directly as a reference, than the value of the claim is $200-250K. However if I take as a reference the amount of units that the end customer says they have shipped (they published this information as they are about to go public) ..... and even taking into account that since Appletec worked directly with the supplier the business has been split to another two additional suppliers than the claim is around $2M .

Alex Watts : But I have an idea. Court fees vary. The cost of sending an initial letter would be about. £250
Alex Watts : The cost of taking it to court in terms of fees are here
Alex Watts :
Alex Watts : The cost would be about 5% of the claim value to issue the claim.
Alex Watts : then to list for trial would be £1090

Ok, who would be the lawyer ? Is it someone from just or would you recommend an outside lawyer to handle the claim?

Alex Watts : Lawyer costs would be about £35,000 to £50,000
Alex Watts : no sadly I can do the letter it would need a solicitor to do this
Alex Watts : if your claim wins you may be able to enforce in China. But I do not know about the legal system in China as a UK lawyer.
Alex Watts : To find solicitor please go to
Alex Watts :
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Can you recommend a commercial lawyer in the UK to write the claim ... or at least the letter? Otherwise going to the website is more or less a "dart throw"

Alex Watts : There are many good ones but the better ones are more expensive. Many commercial ones such as DLA Piper, Browne Jacobson, Wragge and Cometc
Alex Watts : Does that help?

On the same subject, is it common/acceptable practice to ask a lawyer in the UK to act as a "mailbox" and simply forwards a letter written by my local lawyer for a fee?

on their letterhead?

Alex Watts : I don't understand ?

My local lawyer knows all the details of this case. It makes little sense to have someone learn everything from scratch. However as England is the country of dispute resolution I need an local England address.

My Lawyer has already written the letter, but it needs to come from an English law firm

Alex Watts : Indeed. You would need to instruct an English firm. But he could send the draft to them to send out

Ok, Last question ..... Can you recommend an English firm to cooperate with my local lawyer in Israel on this subject?

Alex Watts : I have suggested 3 above. DLA Piper, Browne Jacobson and Wragge and Co.

Ok, That is a start. Thank you for your assistance. It has been most helpful. Signing off now.

Alex Watts : happy to help. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen
Alex Watts : if you need more help please click reply
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience