13262538

, Is it illegal to marry someone in the USA, then re-marry

Is it illegal to marry someone in the USA, then re-marry them in a Church in the UK without getting a divorce inbetween 'marriages'?
If so, can you please provide me with the legal reference.
Clare :

Clare :

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

Clare :

Do you mean that you do not intend to tell the Minister that you are already married to each other?

Customer: It's not regarding me. I am enquiring about the legality of the scenario I've given.
Clare :

Clare :

The second 'marriage" would in fact not be a legal marriage at all

Clare :

There would be nothing illegal about it - it just would not be a legal marriage

Customer:

Ok Thank you Claire..... I'm aware the second marriage has taken place. If it's not legal, should it be reported to the Police and under what law is it illegal?

Customer:

Just seen your other answer.... but if its not legal, how can it not be illegal?

Clare :

It does not need to be reported to the Police - there has been no criminal offence - there has just been a nice ceremony that ha sno legal force.

Customer:

Oh ok.... seem pointless having Banns read, stating to the Church that you're single, when you're already married! In effect getting a false marriage certificate....

Customer:

Thanks for your opinion

Clare :

If they had not been "marrying" each other again then it would have been bigamy which is indeed a criminal offence.

Clare :

as it is the process is pointless - and it is quite possible that the Church minister involved would be both insulted

Clare :

and even distressed that he or she had been involved in the farce

Clare :

and technically the couple will have lied to the Registrar on Oath

Clare :

I agree with you - it appears to be a ridiculous process to follow when their marriage date will remain the date of the first ceremony and the second will have no legal meaning