Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I enquired about a second hand, low mileage HONDA Civic car

Customer Question

I enquired about a second hand, low mileage HONDA Civic car but the only one in the showroom had 38,000 on the clock. The new model would not be available until the end of April. I was shown another model,an Accord, in white "pearlised metallic". The sales man bounced me into ordering said car by asking me to sign a piece of paper, I was not given a copy. I sent an email on my return home saying that before I made a firm decision I would need to test drive the car. His reply was I had made a decision and the car was on order.Trading in my HONDA Jazz the sum of money is £9,000. Normally, ie when younger, I am 85 years of age I would not have been so gullible. What is my position please?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Have you give up possession of your old car? Did you part with any money? Kind regards AJ

JACUSTOMER-2uque3us- :

No, I still own my HODA Jazz. I did not give any money/deposit. I received a quote for my Jazz, which would be £7,000. year 2012 - 9,000 current mileage.

Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you. I would write back to the Honda garage as follows:

JACUSTOMER-2uque3us- :

Apart from gving my mastercard number I have not had any help at all!

Alex J. :

(i) For the avoidance say that you are cancelling any agreement that existed between you and the gararge;

Alex J. :

*garage

Alex J. :

(ii) Say that you deny any enforceable binding contract had been formed and you are not prepared to complete the transaction;

Alex J. :

(iii) Say you will be blocking any attempt to charge your card and any attempt by them to chase you for money you will deem as unlawful harassment under S.40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970;

Alex J. :

(iv) Say at best you believe they have taken advantage of you believing (mistakenly) that you are some kind, and accordingly you are not prepared to accept what amounts to a misleading sales practice. At worst you would consider this approach to a sale as dishonest;

Alex J. :

(v) say that if they do not bring the matter to a close immediately you reserve the right to (a) report them to Trading Standards

www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/ and (b) report the matter to the local press and explain that they were more interested in making a sale (and getting your credit card details) than finding the correct car to meet your requirements.

Alex J. :

If they still pursue you then I would go straight to Trading Standards.

Alex J. :

Can I assist you any further?