29905560

How do you find out if there was house insurance life cover.

How do you find out if there was house insurance life cover. My son-in-law died in 2008. Unfortunately my daughter and he were separated. When she went to the mortgage company re life insurance for the house she was told that there was no life insurance. She was surprised at this but unfortunately could do nothing about it as when she went to the house all the papers were missing. It is my understanding that if you had a mortgage you had to have life cover. Is there any way this can be traced. My son-in-law died in England. My daughter lived in Scotland. Is there an Insurance Ombudsman who can look into this.
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Did they both live in Scotland when they took out the mortgage?

Customer:

No they lived in Crawley West Sussex

Ben Jones :

thank you. If you are trying to trace a life insurance policy but do not have any policy documents or the name of the insurer, you can use the Unclaimed Assets Register to try and find if such a policy existed. You can access their site at https://www.uar.co.uk or you can contact them on the phone by calling 0844 481 81 80. Any other options assume that you have some details of the policy you are tracing, such as at least the insurer's name but in this case you have nothing so the UAR is your best (and most likely, only) option

Ben Jones :

I hope this clarifies your position? If you could please quickly let me know that would be great, as it is important for us to keep track of customer satisfaction. Thank you