Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

My sister died recently and left an off the shelf will naming

My sister died recently and left an off the shelf will naming me a executor and sole beneficiary to her small estate. She has two bank accounts and an ISA savings account...do I need a solicitor to deal with attaining the monies in these accounts or do I inquire in the first instance to the institutions concerned?
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

Please accept my condolences for your loss.

Joshua :

May I ask, so far as you've been able to determine, the total value of your sisters estate please?

Customer:

There is probably £2000 in the bank accounts, I don't know about the ISA

Joshua :

thank you. On this basis, it is unlikely you will even need to obtain probate for your sisters estate, let along need a solicitor.

Joshua :

different banks have different limits but the majority allow you to close accounts and claim the proceeds if the total value of the estate in question is less than between £15-£25,000

Customer:

Okay, thanks very much for the information

Joshua :

all that should be required is for you to make an appointment with the relevant bank, together with a copy of your sister's death certificates and will and take along ID documents for yourself.

Joshua :

you will be asked to sign a statutory declaration declaring you are who you say you are in the information you are giving to the bank is true to the best of your knowledge and then the bank should either provide you with a cheque on the spot or post one to you for the proceeds of the accont.

Customer:

Once again thanks very much, if I have any problems I'll get back to you.