75100385

, I recently parked on a retail estate and used the only available bay on the parking lo

Customer Question

Hi, I recently parked on a retail estate and used the only available bay on the parking lot.
This bay is quite small but has no hash markings or do not park signs available to see. This space is next to a disabled parking space and as such my van, which is very large, crossed over the parking bays and into the disabled space.
I am not one of these people who park in disabled areas AT ALL, EVER but on this occasion my wheels where slightly over into that bay.
The parking fine shows a picture of my vehicle partly in the disabled bay.
I, stupidly, appealed this parking fine on the G24 website using there contact form and later realised i then had no proof i had sent any correspondence what so ever. I have since recieved a final notice letter requesting £100 to be paid in 28 days, or a debt recovery agency will be used. I have never admitted who is driving the vehicle as it is registered to my company but am aware that the laws on this have recently changed. I would just like to know
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
I assume this is a private fine from G24?
What is the reason for contravention please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes this is a private land parking fine. The fine states that:

Term breached: Parked in a disabled bay without displaying valid disabled badge at central retail park.

The picture of my vehicle shows half of my van parked in the disabled bay as the bay provided was not big enough for my vehicle to fit into

Does it say vans can't park in the spaces?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No not at all, to be honest the space isn't big enough for a normal vehicle. But as I said there's no markings or signs to say the space is not meant to be a car parking space.
Then don't pay it. Fines from private companies like this are not enforceable in the same way councils tickets are. This is a contractual dispute. If it ever went to court it would be a small claim and they would need to show there was a contrsct, the signage was adequate, spaces big enough, you agreed to their terms and they suffered a loss.
I would just ignore everything and ask them to take you to court. They won't because of the risk of losing and the costs involved for them. Legal costs in small claims can't be recovered.

I am just following up on this. Is there anything else I can help with? If so, please let me know.

Alex.