12826847

I recieved a parking fine on the 28th nov 2013 I paid the increased

Customer Question

I recieved a parking fine on the 28th nov 2013 I paid the increased amount of £112.00 0n the 30th oct 2014 online to my local council.irecieved a letter from Jacobs enforcement agents asking fo r their fees of £310 pounds.I recieved their letter dated 14Nov 2014 stating that Under the Taking Control of Goods Regulations 2014 and if I did not pay within 7 days,we will then in accordance with the law,get the council to forward to them the sum of £100.06 out of my direct payment to be allocated against their fees.and if i didnt pay within 7 days,they would take control of my car.Today they attended my home with the threat of non payment of £310.00 they will sieze my car, the original offence was on the 28 nov 2013.I have the receipt of payment from the council dated 30th oct 2014.what is my position,thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If this is a local council fine then they do not generally increase to £112.
Are they saying you did pay some but not all of it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

original fine was not paid on time so was increased to £112

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i replied to your last question,but the site is saying my email is registered to another member,this is in fact myself,post reply to *****@******.*** cheers

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

increase was due to late payment

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Are they saying you didn't pay the additional sum? So you have paid some but not all of it?£112 doesn't really relate to the sum of a parking fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Paid the 112 pounds

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I understand that but was it within the time period allotted?
Normally fines are for around £50 or £60 reducing to half if paid within 14 days.
If not paid within 28 days then they increase to 50% extra of their original.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not paid in the 28 days so fine increased

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure this makes any sense. Even if you didn't pay within 28 days it still should not have been £112.
In any event, if you paid the sum of the fine outside of the allotted time slot then you are liable for the increased sum. That would mean that, if it has gone to the Adjudicator and then to bailiffs, you are liable for the bailiffs' fees for work actually done at a reasonable rate.
If you did pay the sum requested within 28 days then you are not liable.
The fact that the council have received their money does not do anything about the bailiffs' fees which can be enforced as they arise from the fine I'm afraid.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The law regarding recovery of fees became law in Nov 2014 ad my fine was several months before that then surely the old laws apply

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
There hasn't been any change in the substantive law.
Bailiffs fees could always be added to unpaid fines.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My vehicle contains all my tools to do my job.can they still take it

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
They can still take the vehicle unless it is of itself a tool of the trade like a taxi.
They should release the tools upon your request because they are tools of the trade.
If the vehicle is not in walking possession already then you can always leave it parked many streets away so that they cannot find it.